In Florida, not only are the people and stories unique, but some of the laws are too. The laws shared below by our criminal trial lawyer were put into place to protect everyone’s safety, property, and rights. However, there are some laws that have people scratching their heads wondering why they’re still around today. There are puzzling laws still in effect in every state, but Florida’s list is one worth sharing. The elephant parking, cottage cheese consumption, and hair dryer sleeping are some of our favorites.
Let’s dive in.
15 Unusual Laws in Florida
1. Driving over gravesites is a sign of disrespect and, therefore, illegal to park or drive over in Florida.
2. Specifically in Cape Coral, FL an individual can be fined for storing a couch underneath a carport.
3. At the salon, it’s illegal for women to fall asleep under a hairdryer. You heard that right ladies, stay awake.
4. In Sarasota, Florida, one can be fined for parking an elephant. No, we’re not kidding. If one ties an elephant to a parking meter they can be fined. We’d love to hear the backstory on this one.
5. “Swamp buggies” are not considered to be a motor vehicle in the state of Florida. You can still get a DUI on one.
6. There’s a very broad law that states anyone convicted of “corrupting the public’s morals” can be charged with a misdemeanor.
7. In Miami, FL, individuals cannot sell oranges on the streets. If one is caught selling on the street, they can face up to 30 days in jail. That’s right, no orange juice for you.
8. Have you thought about rolling a barrel down the street lately? Well don’t because it’s considered illegal and you could face a fine depending on the contents of the barrel.
9. Thanks to pressure from the humane society, pig breeders cannot keep pregnant pigs in inhumane, confined cages. We strongly support this one.
10. If you’re a gardener, you may be breaking the law if your flowerpots don’t have a drainage hole as this is considered a public nuisance.
11. Horses were a main mode of transportation back in the day when this law was enacted. If you’re caught and convicted of trying to steal a horse, the law still technically states the penalty is death by hanging.
12. This law isn’t surprising but is odd to see written in legal books and documents. All exit doors must open outwards for emergency purposes. Next time you’re wondering if you should push or pull the door to enter a building, we recommend pulling.
13. If you don’t have a state-issued license like you get when driving a car, you cannot ride a skateboard. That’s right teens, put the skateboard away unless you have your license.
14. Our next topic is porcupines. It’s illegal to have sexual relations with porcupines in Florida. It’s illegal to have sex with any animal, but Florida felt the need to specify porcupines.
15. The last one we’re going to share in this blog applies to Tampa Bay. It’s against the law to eat cottage cheese after 6 pm on Sundays. We recommend saving it for breakfast on Monday.
Believe it or not, these are just a few of the strange laws that still exist in Florida. While these laws aren’t going to send someone to prison for life, and may not be considered the most extreme, they are still in fact active laws in the state of Florida, and we want to keep you out of court at all costs.
We should respect and obey the law at all times, even if we don’t understand or agree. If you, or someone you know, has a unique case in Florida, we can help you understand the law and protect your rights. Contact us anytime on our site or call 904-355-6777.