Across the United States, it’s illegal to drink and drive when legally impaired. In Florida the legal limit in a DUI case is .08% BAC. However, an individual under the age of 21 can be charged with DUI if he/she have a BAC of .02% or more. Underage DUI’s can result in serious consequences and our DUI Lawyers believe it’s important to understand and know the consequences and penalties before something happens.
DUI Lawyer Gives Specifics
In Florida, there are mandatory penalties for drinking and driving regardless of age. There are even more serious consequences if a driver is under 20 or even 18 years of age. The specific statutory penalties for a first DUI are listed below:
Over 21 DUI Penalties
- Fines ranging from $500 to $1,000.
- Drivers license suspension of at least 6 months.
- 10 day tag impoundment.
- Up to 180 days in jail.
- 50 hours of community service.
- DUI School Level I.
- Mandatory criminal conviction.
Under 21 DUI Penalties
- If blow over .08% BAC or refusal, the same penalties apply as if the driver was over 21 years of age.
- If blow over .02% BAC but under .08% BAC, the certain administrative penalties apply.
DUI Penalties Under 18
- Same penalties as under 21 years of ag apply with the additional requirement that the driver be evaluated at an facility specializing in addiction.
Hire a Professional
Keep in mind, there may also be fallout that goes beyond the penalties listed above. Criminal records can have huge impact on a young person’s life, Criminal records can impact one’s ability to: get into certain schools, receive scholarships, join the military, and even work in certain professions. Long term effects can be avoided by dealing with the case properly and by having a juvenile record expunged. Our firm has extensive experience protecting young drivers from the impacts of a criminal record.
In conclusion, most criminal offenses require professional, experienced attorneys. Our DUI attorneys at Dale Carson Law are some of the top attorneys in Jacksonville, Florida. They are prepared to help you, or someone you know, with all types of criminal charges. Our lawyers go the extra mile to provide personal service, while treating all clients with dignity and respect. Feel free to contact one of our attorneys about your legal issues anytime. We are here to help!